11152013.sustainability

Geological Engineering Research Scientist Sabrina Bradshaw said she enjoys working in sustainability because of the opportunities to positively impact the environment.

Second Sustainability Fair sees increased attendance, Green Fund discussion

An Office of Sustainability representative facilitated discussion on environmental initiatives on campus and the recently established Green Fund at the second Sustainability Fair Thursday.

Geological Engineering Research Scientist Sabrina Bradshaw, who is also the Sustainability Education and Outreach Coordinator for the Office of Sustainability, centered her keynote speech on the importance of student involvement in sustainability efforts.

She specifically mentioned tasks the Office of Sustainability is working on such as Styrofoam recycling and game day waste reduction.

“It was really like my dream job,” Bradshaw said about her position at the Office of Sustainability. “We can focus on, in a high impact environment, really making some opportunities for change in the environment and for sustainability.”

The office is also looking to implement educational tools into the promotion of sustainability to students, as they are currently working on developing a Certificate for Environmental Sustainability, Bradshaw said.

Bradshaw said she is optimistic about the outcomes that could potentially stem from the fair.

“This is a wonderful opportunity, and I hope it continues to grow and get more interest and more impact so that way students are really getting their voices heard,” Bradshaw said.

Sustainability Committee Chair Will Mulhern said he was pleased with the event’s turnout.

“Every seat was filled, at one point, and there was standing room only,” Mulhern said.

Vice-Chair Kevin Englebert agreed, citing the presence of new faces not usually associated with sustainability efforts.

“What we saw this year was a lot of people who aren’t normally involved,” Englebert said. “It was cool to see.”

Mulhern addressed the recent approval of the Green Fund, which would provide segregated fee funding for students to pursue sustainable initiatives on campus, in next year’s budget.

According to Mulhern, ASM will divide the allotted $80,000 in the fund to six different grants of various amounts, ranging from $5,000 to $20,000.

Students who want to implement environmental initiatives on campus that will affect student life can begin applying for funding in the spring, Mulhern said.

Applications for Green Fund support will be reviewed by a student board, which will likely be compiled within the next three months, Englebert said.

The chairs encouraged students in attendance to brainstorm possible campus sustainability initiatives, which could potentially be carried out by the Green Fund.

Of the ideas suggested, Mulhern said the most notable was a proposal to implement an email receipt service at the university dining institutions.

“Instead of asking if you want a receipt, and either giving it to you or throwing it away … they could ask you if you would like your receipt emailed to your WiscMail,” Mulhern said.

Now that the fair is over, Mulhern said the committee will focus on the finalizing and publicizing of the Green Fund efforts.