Men's Soccer: Badgers open Big Ten Tournament against strong Northwestern team

The Wisconsin men’s soccer team took home field advantage to the next level this season, finishing with a perfect 9-0-0 record at the McClimon Soccer Complex that included wins against defending national champion Indiana and No. 11 Michigan State.

“We love Madison,” head coach John Trask said. “The guys love to play at home, the field is absolutely beautiful and we are starting to get a lot of fans and a lot of people from the community. When we are at home, my guys feel like they are invincible.”

Sometimes, capping off a perfect season is the hardest part. But the Badgers (4-2-0 Big Ten, 13-3-2 overall) handled the pressure and beat Ohio State soundly 2-0 Friday night.

The win was significant enough to secure the No. 2 seed in the Big Ten tournament, allowing the team to celebrate Senior Night and sent off the team’s 13 seniors the right way.

“To see a group of 13 guys realize their dreams as student athletes at Wisconsin, it’s a really exciting time for my staff and the players involved with this program,” Trask said. “It couldn’t happen to a nicer group of guys and guys that have been dedicated since the moment they walked on campus ... I’ve never been more proud of a Senior Night.”

The Badgers have shifted focus to the Big Ten tournament and beyond to the NCAA tournament. But first on the plate for Wisconsin is Northwestern, who boasts sophomore forward Joey Calistri, who led the Big Ten in goals with 12 this season, and junior goalkeeper Tyler Miller, who was last season’s First Team All-Big Ten goalkeeper.

“Northwestern is an excellent program,” Trask said. “They were a little banged up when we played them, but I’m sure it will be all hands on deck Wednesday. They’ve got the leading goal scorer in the conference and they have the top goalkeeper game in and game out.”

Wisconsin’s shot-stopper, senior Max Jentsch, has become the starter for the tail end of the season and has three shutouts this year, all against Big Ten opponents.

Whether it is holding on to a 1-0 lead at Northwestern, scoring with one second left to force overtime and an eventual win against DePaul, or coming back from two goals down twice against Indiana, the Badgers have shown their determination all season long.

“We’ve shown that we are pretty resilient,” Trask said. “This group finds a way to get it done and I think there is a belief in them. As I told them the other day, they are standing in a doorway and the door is wide open, they aren’t knocking any more. Are they willing to step through it. Because I still believe there is a lot more in this team.”

Wisconsin’s veteran leadership will look to guide the team to success in the postseason.

“We have four excellent captains and 13 leaders,” Trask said. “We are a northern part of the country type of soccer team: We can possess the ball and we’ve got flash but we are big, we are disciplined and we are strong.”

Home or away, Wisconsin has not lost in their last five games.

“We are playing some stingy defense and scoring goals, we’re healthy and we are peaking at the right time,” Trask said. “Seeing some snow flurries today gets me excited as a college soccer coach because that’s when you know it’s time to get rolling.”