Lori Berquam

Dean of Students Lori Berquam discusses ways the university uses media to inform students about safety issues on campus at a meeting Wednesday. 

Lori Berquam discusses safety communication

Vice Provost for Student Life and Dean of Students Lori Berquam attended the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Associated Students of Madison Coordinating Council meeting Wednesday to discuss recent safety issues on campus, as well as to propose possible recognition of members of ASM.

Berquam emphasized the importance of a “multi-faceted approach to communicating” issues pertaining to campus safety, citing the expansion of the Division of Student Life space located in Bascom Hall and various alert implementations through social media.

Certain ways that students can access information on campus safety are through WiscAlerts, web chats and even Berquam’s own Twitter account, Berquam said.

Berquam also brought up a plan to acknowledge students within ASM.

The idea behind the acknowledgement is that students who do not hold official positions but still contribute to day-to-day activities would be recognized for their work.

“That’s pretty significant to be a new student, come here, get involved and then you are recognized for your contributions,” Berquam said.

Berquam said she would like to see a task team developed in the near future to begin planning.

“I don’t want people to just come together and say, ‘Here’s your certificate,’” Berquam said about the potential recognitions. “I want it to have depth.”

Council members also approved a draft that established a recruitment and retention position in the internal budget.

This position would likely replace the budget line of the chief of staff, a position that is currently vacant.

The recruitment and retention coordinator will primarily be in charge of setting up the recruitment drive in the fall, as well as assist with the Nominations Board and training of various committees, according to ASM Chair David Gardner.

The proposal for the position will be taken to Student Council for approval next week.

ASM Vice Chair Mia Akers also brought forward the topic of the campus-wide diversity plan, saying there needs to be more involvement with the initiative from both ASM members and the overall student body.

The plan, which aims to create a framework for an increase in diversity on campus, is something that needs to receive more attention, Akers said.

“It’s going to have lasting effects and will hopefully affect all of us,” Akers said. “We just need to be involved.”