Volleyball: Wisconsin downs No. 14 Ohio State

Despite being down after the first set, the No. 19 Wisconsin volleyball team (4-1 Big Ten, 15-2 overall) came back and defeated No. 14 Ohio State (2-4, 14-4) 3-2 in Columbus Friday night. The win allowed UW to maintain third place in the Big Ten.

Last night’s game marked the third time this year the Badgers defeated a ranked team, as well as their first win in Columbus since 2011.

The Badgers started off the first set leading 3-0. After tying it up six times, Ohio State scored five straight points, putting the score at 13-18, and the Buckeyes went on to win the set.

Wisconsin started the second set off strong with a 5-0 lead by the serving of senior Annemarie Hickey. UW proceeded to lead the set until the Buckeyes tied it up at 24. The win was secured by a kill from junior Deme Morales and a block from freshman Lauren Carlini.

After tying the score up at 13 and then taking the lead at 15-14, the Buckeyes went on to win the third set.

The Badgers responded in the fourth set by out-blocking Ohio State 4.5 to 2, and a low attacking percentage of negative .061 by the Buckeyes assisted in giving Wisconsin the win.

The Badgers commanded a 5-1 lead in the beginning of the fifth set. With the help of two service aces by Morales, the team increased its lead to 10-5. Ohio State was able to delay UW’s win by holding off the first match point, but ultimately gave up the match to Wisconsin with a service error.

Wisconsin recorded a .161 overall attacking percentage, beating Ohio State’s .139. Key hitters for the Badgers were juniors Morales, Ellen Chapman, and Courtney Thomas, who tallied a career-high 19 kills.

But it was defense that lead the Badgers to victory. Lead by junior Dominique Thompson, the team put up a season-high 14.5 blocks, compared to Ohio State’s 10. Thompson was responsible for six of Wisconsin’s blocks, tying her career best. Twenty digs by Hickey also edged the Badgers to victory.