UW-Madison Diversity Forum to take place on campus Monday and Tuesday

The University of Wisconsin-Madison’s annual two-day Diversity Forum will take place on Monday and Tuesday from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in Union South.

Session topics include learning how to create safe spaces for LGBTQ youth, recruit and retain a diverse student population and expand the definition of diversity under the law.

Three keynote speakers will also address attendees. Sylvia Hurtado, professor and director of the Higher Research Education Institute at University of California, Los Angeles, will discuss creating campus engagement and accountability around the diversity planning process and increasing underrepresented student participation in science, technology, engineering and math fields.

Derald Wing Sue, psychology and education professor at the Columbia University Teachers College and School of Social Work, will discuss the role microaggressions play on a college campus.

Finally, Kate Lipper, a policy and legal advisor for EducationalCounsel LLC, will discuss the implications of Supreme Court decisions concerning race-based admission policies and the case of Fisher v. University of Texas at Austin.