State Department of Justice grants state’s 200,000th concealed carry permit

The Wisconsin Department of Justice granted the state’s 200,000th concealed carry permit Monday, according to a release from the state attorney general, highlighting an issue that has fueled disagreement since the concealed carry law passed in November of 2011.

After the law passed, citizens could begin applying to carry their firearms in public places. The state application requires applicants to complete a firearms training course and answer 17 questions focused on discovering an applicant’s criminal, mental and citizenship history. All applications are processed in the state DOJ. The original application fee was $50, but it was recently reduced to $40, according to the release.

Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen said in the statement he was “pleased” to offer the “public service” that allow citizens “to exercise their Second Amendment rights.”

Jeri Bonavia, the executive director of Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort, said the number of permits issued brought her “a little bit of a comfort” because it only represents a “small percentage” of the Wisconsin population.

She added the concealed carry concept still concerns her.

“This notion that we will be a safer society if we arm up is one that I don’t buy into,” Bonavia said. “We have a right to expect absolute vigilance and excellent behavior across the board if people are going to be carrying guns in public places.”

The Wisconsin Department of Justice receives between 500 and 1,000 concealed carry license applications every week, according to Van Hollen’s statement, and most applications are processed within the week.