SSFC approves GSSF funding for WISPIRG

The Student Services Finance Committee approved funding for the Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group, which is a state-based organization that works to address and find solutions to issues concerning citizens and aims to engage students on a variety of issues and campaigns, at a meeting Thursday.

SSFC voted 11-2 to approve WISPIRG for funding with little debate. One discussion among members was what WISPIRG’s direct services are and if they were the main focus of the organization. 

Student groups receiving funding from the General Student Services Fund must demonstrate their ability to provide direct services to students, which are defined as educational benefits available and customizable to the needs of any University of Wisconsin-Madison student.

According to funding requirements, the direct services “must be the primary focus of the group.”

SSFC Rep. German Larrain said the group’s direct services are its campaigns that students can request, but he said he doesn’t think the group’s “primary focus” is the campaigns.

“The acting out of the campaigns … is not requestable throughout the year… since [the organization] set[s] out the campaigns at the beginning of the year,” Larrain said.

Larrain said he thinks the organization spends a lot of its time choosing campaigns, and once they are set, there isn’t much possibility for them to be tailored or requestable for students.

SSFC Rep. Callen Raveret said he didn’t think “carrying out these campaigns” is the actual direct service but rather the experiences that students get from participating in the campaigns and being able to take part in whatever aspects they choose.

Following WISPIRG’s approval, Badger Catholic applied for funding eligibility.

Badger Catholic is a Catholic organization but offers services to any student, whether he or she practices a religion or not.

According to Badger Catholic President Sean McNally, the organization offers two direct services, faith mentoring and faith-based service trips, which can be tailored and available for any student.

Raveret asked McNally how Badger Catholic is able to reach out to people of all faiths when “Catholic” is included in the organization’s name.

McNally said even though “Catholic” is in the organization’s name, Badger Catholic is able to reach out to students of all faiths because it takes an “open and positive” approach to its outreach.

SSFC will decide on Badger Catholic’s eligibility Monday.