Repitition bogs down Blitzen Trapper’s latest

Blitzen Trapper is a Portland-based folk/country band that originated in 2000. By releasing their new album, VII, with Vagrant Records on Monday, Blitzen Trapper has deviated from the Sub Pop path they have been on for their previous three albums.

VII, their seventh studio album release, is accurately named and displays Blitzen Trapper’s classic country sound. Although the band is based out of Portland, the majority of their tracks are in the style of the twangy, heartbreak-filled music that emanates from the American south.

Opening with “Feel the Chill,” VII proves Blitzen Trapper is worthy of being called a true indie-country band through their genre typical use of multiple styles of guitar, heavy percussion and, of course, banjo. When bandleader and primary vocalist Eric Earley introduces the album’s first lyrics, the sheer level of southern accent added to distinctively cliche country lyrics seems to almost make a joke out of the genre Blitzen Trapper so proudly represents.

The second song on the album, “Shine On,” is one of the lone highlights of the album, as the “yeehaw!” factor that was infecting my speakers on the opening track was significantly lowered. Boasting verses reminiscent of Johnny Cash and slightly more rock ’n’ roll influence, “Shine On” is more relatable for me. This track also features the pedal steel guitar, which I always enjoy, regardless of the genre.

In the middle of VII, Blitzen Trapper takes a more creative approach to their production, as they explore a higher level of post-produced sound in “Oregon Geography” by adding static, train and turntable scratching effects.

“Earth (Fever Called Love)” also proves adventurous for Blitzen Trapper when they take a 30-second hiatus in the middle of the song for an electronic organ solo.

Ending with “Don’t Be A Stranger,” Blitzen Trapper left a fairly decent taste in my mouth. The acoustic guitar is enjoyable and Earley’s lyrics, meant to serenade that special someone, are surprisingly entertaining.

Although Blitzen Trapper includes certain individual aspects of music that I do enjoy, VII is nearly unlistenable. There is an extreme amount of repetition throughout the album as far as lyrics and musical style go. With repetition comes annoyance, especially in the country genre.

Sure, some verses are entertaining and two of the tracks are OK, but trying to imitate hip-hop beats with country instruments and mixing that with twangy vocals and typical country sound spells disaster for my ears.

Rating: D