Suder

Former state Assembly Majority Leader Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, plans to take a job in the private sector.

Former state Rep. Scott Suder moves to private sector

Former state Assembly Majority Leader Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, will change his job for the second time in two months, according to a release from the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin, in the wake of controversy concerning an award of a $500,000 grant to United Sportsmen.

Suder resigned from the state Assembly Sept. 3 to take a position within the PSC as the administrator of the Division of Water, Compliance and Consumer Affairs. He now plans to accept a private sector position with Wisconsin Paper Council, according to a statement from the company.

However, soon after his announcement, critics began challenging the move because of Suder’s involvement with the United Sportsmen grant. The grant, which was passed in the recent state budget, was awarded to the group despite its lack of experience with hunting outreach programs.

Suder signed a Republican letter, along with 17 other Republican legislators, urging the granting committee to choose United Sportsmen for the funding. Suder also went on a free fishing excursion along with the United Sportsmen’s executive director a week before the grant was awarded.

WPC announced Suder’s hire Thursday as the company’s vice president of government relations, a position Suder will take on beginning Oct. 7.

“His experience and relationships with decision makers in state government will serve our members and the paper industry in Wisconsin well,” WPC President Jeff Landin said.

State Rep. Jeff Stone, R-Greendale, announced Thursday he intends to take Suder’s previously announced job as a PSC administrator. 

Stone will assume the position after his legislative resignation takes effect Oct. 14.