Ask the Deer Cardinal

Deer Cardinal,

I’m taking a 600-level history seminar, and I feel like I’m in over my head. The class is discussion based, and I’m worried I sound like a total idiot. Plus, there are some grad students in the class, and they know a lot more about the subject than I do. What should I do?

—Irwin F.

Inadequate Irwin,

Have a little confidence, dude! A wise bird once told me, “Fake it till you make it.” What did he mean by that? Pretend like you know what you’re doing, even if you’re totally lost and have no clue what’s going on.

The first key to success in a class like this is making sure you sound smart. Try to pepper in the phrase “vis a vis” as well as the words “plethora” and “inherently” whenever possible. It’s OK if you’re not sure what these words really mean. Context isn’t important. If you get choked up, gesture with one hand while scowling pensively. Also, never ask a question you don’t already know the answer to. 

Speaking of your appearance,  along with sounding smart, you also want to look smart. So, whenever the professor mentions a noteworthy person, place or event, nod your head slowly, as if to say, “Ah, yes! I know everything! Thank you for reminding me to remind you of that.”

Knock ’em dead, champ! 

Deer Cardinal,

I have a club meeting on the second floor of the Humanities Building once a week this year. I don’t spend much time in there otherwise, so I often get lost in the building. Any tips for helping me find my way around?

—Lilly M.

Lost Lilly,

Navigating the Humanities Building can be tricky. Let me see if I can help clear things up. 

When you enter the building, which floor are you on? In case you don’t know, perhaps I can help you figure it out. If you enter on the first level on Park Street, you’re on the second floor, unless you go up the stairs at the corner of Park and University, in which case you’re on the third floor. Or, if you come over the bridge connecting to the fourth floor of Vilas, in which case you’re on the third floor.

Alright, now that you’ve got a good grasp on where you’re entering the building, time to make a note of where exactly your classroom is. How many concrete pillars do you pass on your way to the classroom? Is there a particular musical ensemble that has practice during your club meeting? Can you see sunlight from the room? If you said “yes” to that last one, definitely make note because there aren’t many other locations in there where you get that luxury.

If all else fails, just keep lapping the building until you run into someone you know.

Getting out is pretty easy. Some of the second-floor exits are at street level, except the one on State Street, which is upstairs from the street.

Hopefully this clears things up! Feel free to send more questions if my directions were unclear or if you keep having trouble finding the room.

For answers to your questions, tweet at the Deer Cardinal.  Literally.