Volcano Choir erupts with their second LP

If you are familiar with Justin Vernon’s many musical endeavors, then Repave by Volcano Choir is everything you would expect out of an album from the Bon Iver frontman and one-third of The Shouting Matches.

If you are not familiar with the Eau Claire native’s work, this most recent release out of his collaboration with Milwaukee’s Collections of Colonies of Bees contains many hallmarks of Vernon’s previous work: a ghostly singing voice—ranging from bass to tenor, with a trademark falsetto used at opportune moments— pure folk/rock sounds that could have originated only in Wisconsin and an impressive combination of percussive and acoustic sounds.

While tones of Bon Iver, Bon Iver are clearly heard in this second release by Volcano Choir, the band takes a broader approach to the folk genre than Bon Iver, including a slightly more electronic sound in some key tracks such as “Comrade” and “Almanac.”

“Tiderays” opens Repave with a perfect ambience, then traverses into acoustic guitar, Vernon’s opening lyrics and then finally, at the height of the introduction, releases the signature percussive element of this album. At the midway point of Repave, “Byegone” enlightens the listener with uplifting guitar chords and positive lyrics.

On “Alaskans,” Vernon questions his lover as to why she left when he thought their life together was so good, while an acoustic guitar with a slight country twang backs up his vocals. “Almanac” closes the album with an adequate display of Vernon’s singing ability and a beautiful keyboard riff.

The lyrics and instrumentals on this album all seem to have been placed at just the right moments. From guitar, to keyboard, to drums, to Vernon’s voice—all elements seem to introduce each other and each song seems to introduce the next. Throughout the duration of Repave, it is not difficult to believe Volcano Choir recorded and produced this album over the course of three years.

When listening to Repave, I cannot help but to think how perfectly this album embraces the emotion and sound of fall. Volcano Choir’s unique harmonies could be used as a soundtrack to falling leaves and the motion of waves on Lake Mendota in late October, similar to the chilling cover photo.

Rating: B+