State legislators weigh in on impending government shutdown

The U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill Friday that would delay an impending government shutdown only if Congress eliminates funding for the Affordable Care Act.

Unless the House, Senate and President Barack Obama reach an agreement that would supply money to the federal government, large federal government operations could shut down starting Oct. 1. The shutdown could force closure of national parks and monuments and put federal workers on unpaid furloughs.

President Obama has said he will not support the legislation and criticized Republican leaders Friday at an address to autoworkers at a Ford plant in Liberty, Mo. He said, “They are focused on politics… they’re not focused on you.”

Several state legislators have weighed in on the issue, including U.S. Rep. Sean Duffy, D-Wis., who said in a statement although he thinks Congress should avoid government shutdown, he supports the effort to defund the Affordable Care Act.

“If Obamacare is not dismantled it has the potential to devastate Wisconsin business, cost Wisconsin jobs, and that is going to have a huge impact on Wisconsin families,” Duffy said in the statement.

U.S. Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., also expressed his disapproval of the Affordable Care Act, calling it “abominable” in a statement.

But U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore, D-Wis., said in a statement the bill would deny millions access to healthcare and jeopardize the nation’s economy.

“The Republican Party is willing to risk the full faith and credit of the United States in a futile attempt to stop uninsured Americans from receiving the affordable health care coverage they need.” Moore said in the statement.

The U.S. Senate is expected to vote on the bill in the coming days.