Letter to the editor: Genevieve Globus' 'Blurred Lines' article aligns itself with PAVE's strong message

My name is Kari and I am the Communications Coordinator for PAVE (Promoting Awareness, Victim Empowerment) here at UW-Madison.  PAVE is a student-run organization dedicated to ending sexual assault, dating/domestic violence and stalking through education and activism.

In response to your article that was recently published in the Daily Cardinal about Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines,” I would just like to say thank you!  The PAVE staff would like you to know that we really appreciate your article because you have created a space in which conversations about sexual violence can begin.  We also believe that you did an amazing job linking “Blurred Lines” to victim blaming and to the objectification of women, both of which perpetuate rape culture.

Overall, we are really excited that someone else on campus is just as passionate about this topic as we are!  If you would like to explore these topics further, or have any questions, do not hesitate to contact PAVE.  Also, if you would like to volunteer for PAVE, we have a plethora of opportunities, including writing for our blog or joining the PAVE Communications Team!

Again, thank you for raising awareness about “Blurred Lines!”

Kari is a junior majoring in psychology and gender and women’s studies with certificates in both global health and criminal justice. She is also the communications coordinator for PAVE. If you are interested in PAVE, they have daily office hours from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday-Wednesday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday.