DIY Sconnie Style: Curtains

When it comes to a Do It Yourself project, anything is possible with a handful of clothespins, a few sparkles and that underappreciated-yet-must-have hot glue gun.

As a college sophomore who has been through the ringer once already, I have come to realize that 1. The less crap you have to buy, the better. And, 2. Pinterest is a girl on a budget’s best friend, which is why I’ve decided to combine my love of all things handmade as well as my cheapskate mentality to provide all of you struggling Wisconsinites with the ultimate DIY college kit. From homemade coasters for those late night parties, to your very own handmade wall art and decor, this DIY tutorial will help transform any simple living space into a cozy cave of ambiance. So without further ado, let’s get a-craftin’!

As a Midwestern gal who grew up in a house where wooden blinds covered every window and patio door, curtains are highly underrated. Walking into my dorm room for the first time, I immediately noticed the extremely tacky, bulky wooden blinds hanging in a lopsided fashion. Right then and there, I decided something had to be done, and thus, DIY Sconnie Style’s first project was born.

What you’ll need:

1. A bed sheet of any color

2. A strand of Christmas lights (preferably icicle style)

3. String or ribbon

DIY Bed Sheet Curtains:

1. Before hanging the bed sheet, take a strand of Christmas lights and tuck them into the top corners of the blinds/curtain rod and wrap them around the rod or drape them as desired. If the lights are too long for the length of the window, drape them back and forth across the top of the rod a few times. Make sure there is an outlet nearby to plug in the lights.

2. Take two corners of the sheet so it hangs horizontally down from the top of the window, and carefully tuck them into opposite ends of the rod/opposite corners of the window. Secure the top of the sheet by tucking the excess fabric between the two corners around the curtain rod.

3. Once the sheet is secured along the top of the window, gather it in the center of the curtain rod by grabbing the middle of the sheet and lifting it upward to the middle of the top of the window. Tie a string or ribbon in a bow around the curtain rod and fabric to secure the curtains.

4. Now that the sheet is all tied up, tuck the excess corners and fabric that is draping down up and under, rolling and twisting it around some of the top blinds to keep it in place. If there are not any blinds, I would recommend using some duct tape to help secure the remaining bottom fabric and corners of the sheet. Visually, it should look like two half circles are formed with the fabric draping from the center and out to the sides. If you want, you can add more to your curtains by taping string to the wall above the window and hanging photos or flowers like I did. Now all you have to do is plug in the Christmas lights, take a step back and voila, you’ve created your very own set of dreamland drapes!