Justice Pat Roggensack

Justice Pat Roggensack was re-elected to the state Supreme Court Tuesday. She will now serve another 10-year term.

Roggensack keeps Supreme Court seat

Justice Pat Roggensack earned her second 10-year term on the Wisconsin Supreme Court after comfortably defeating Marquette University law professor Ed Fallone in Tuesday’s election.

Roggensack won 57 percent of the vote while Fallone received 43 percent. The Associated Press officially called the race for the incumbent around two hours after the polls closed.

Roggensack, who was first elected to the state’s highest court in 2003 after serving for seven years as an appeals court judge, credited her victory to her experience, which she continually emphasized on the campaign trail.

“I am so grateful for the support I have received from the voters across Wisconsin tonight,” Roggensack said in a statement. “I’m excited to get back to work and focus on serving the people of Wisconsin as a member of the court.”

Fallone framed much of his campaign message around ending what he views as personal animosity between the conservative and liberal members of the court.

“Although I couldn’t manufacture a win tonight, the fight will continue to bring equal justice for all Wisconsinites, and to end the dysfunction that has plagued our Supreme Court for the last two years,” Fallone said in a statement.

Through March 25, Roggensack’s campaign had more than doubled Fallone’s campaign in spending, according to finance reports filed with the Government Accountability Board.

The state Supreme Court is expected to take up cases regarding controversial legislation from Gov. Scott Walker’s first two years in office, including portions of the collective bargaining law and voter ID.