Rebecca Blank

The UW System Board of Regents unanimously confirmed Dr. Rebecca Blank as UW-Madison’s next leader Friday.

Regents approve Blank as next UW chancellor

The University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents unanimously confirmed Rebecca Blank as the next chancellor of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Friday, according to a university press release.

“I can’t tell you how very proud I am to be joining one of the world’s great universities,” Blank said in a video posted on YouTube.

Blank will take over for Chancellor David Ward in mid-July. She will receive an annual salary of $495,000, according to a document obtained by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Blank received her Bachelor of Science in economics from the University of Minnesota, as well as a Ph.D. in economics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. She is currently serving as secretary of the United States Department of Commerce.

The board also discussed the UW Flex Option degree and upcoming implementation of Massive Open Online Courses at Wisconsin universities.

According to Chancellor of UW Colleges and UW-Extension Ray Cross, the first Flex Option degrees, which are self-paced and competency-based learning programs, will be available in late fall 2013.

The Higher Learning Commission will rule on whether or not the degree program will receive accreditation, which could affect financial aid for the program, in July.

UW System President Kevin Reilly said the UW System may make mistakes in implementing the program and will likely receive criticism. However, it is important for the regents to support the program’s implementation, which moves toward more innovative higher education.

Regent Tracy Hribar, a non-traditional student, said she is excited to provide adult learners with a new and affordable option for education.