Recover from spring break with healthy snacks

Spring break is a time to release your inhibitions and leave your worries behind for a short week. Unfortunately, this often means leaving your good eating habits behind as well. Whether you spent your vacation downing margaritas in Panama City Beach or inhaling Mom’s homemade brownies in small-town Wisconsin, chances are your body has been through a lot this spring break. Ten days of abnormal—and perhaps exotic—foods, frequent alcohol consumption and the Easter Candy Indulgence would be enough to throw any person’s body out of whack. 

But with classes, exams and registration looming, a post-break diet seems daunting. Since Kale and a tomato won’t cut it for end-of-semester stress, I’ve proposed a few tastier alternatives that won’t throw you into a blind, hunger-induced rage as you recover from spring break and prepare for those finals. 

1. Almond milk

Being from Wisconsin, I have to admit that at first I was skeptical about this non-dairy milk business. However, I have come to the conclusion that almond milk is basically a milkshake in disguise. It’s smooth and silky and comes in vanilla and chocolate flavors, and it goes great with just about anything (i.e. fries, chicken tenders, etc.) Delicious and nutritious, this milkshake will bring all the boys to the yard.  

2. Peanut butter

Peanut butter goes great with everything—toast, sandwiches, bananas, apples, pretzels, Wheat Thins and of course, Oreos. Supplement peanut butter with jelly, Nutella and ice cream for a virtually unlimited number of delicious sandwich and snack combinations.  

3. Popcorn

I recently discovered popcorn is 100 percent whole grain. Eating popcorn is basically like eating a slice of wheat bread, only popcorn tastes way better. Popcorn goes great with movies (and of course, peanut butter), and the best part is that it comes in varieties for every occasion: sweet, salty, caramel-y, cheesy and always delicious. 

4. Carrots and hummus

I have to admit I absolutely hate carrots. In fact, carrots are the bane of my existence. But unfortunately, carrots are really good for you, so close your eyes and pretend you’re eating something that isn’t a carrot. Dip your not-carrots in hummus and maybe they will taste like pita chips… but probably not. 

5. Key lime yogurt

After one bite of Yoplait Greek key lime yogurt, you are going to think you are in Key West eating a key lime pie. Ernest Hemingway will magically appear, while his six-toed cats rain from the sky, and the whole posse will reluctantly agree to discuss “A Farewell to Arms” over pie. 

I am by no means an expert in nutrition, but I did get an A in Pete Anderson’s nutrition science class, which is basically the same thing. But don’t get me wrong, this is by no means a “nutritionally balanced” diet, and if all you’re eating is popcorn and yogurt, you’re going to have a problem. I’ve recommended healthy snacks to supplement your diet because in my experience, snacking can wreak havoc on even the healthiest meal plan. So after eating all of spring break’s delicious offerings, I hope you’ll take my advice and practice safe snacking! 

Are you kind of weirded out by milk made out of nuts? Are you worried what Sarah will do when cats fall from the sky? Let her know how you feel by emailing her at seoloson5@wisc.edu.