District 13 re-elects Ellingson

Incumbent Ald. Sue Ellingson, District 13, will remain a member of Madison’s Common Council for two more years following her victory against Edgewood College student Zach Madden in the biennial aldermanic election Tuesday.

Ellingson, 60, was first elected to Common Council in 2011 to District 13, which extends south from Regent Street and includes off-campus student housing in the Greenbush and Vilas neighborhoods. It is also home to the Henry Vilas Zoo and the northern shore of Lake Wingra.

Ellingson said on her website she is excited for the opportunity a second term will allow her to stay involved in improving the city.

“I like talking to people in the district and helping them find solutions to problems,” Ellingson said on her website. “I love making Madison the best place it can be.”

Ellingson said she will continue to engage with the community and keep residents informed throughout her second term. She also said she will work to find alternate revenue streams for the Overture Center for the Arts and increase pedestrian and bike safety in her district.

Ellingson took 60.9 percent of the vote over her opponent, 19-year-old Madden, who said he will stay involved in the city process and hopes to cooperate with Ellingson in the future to resolve city matters.

“I’m still going to work as hard as I can on issues of affordable housing,” Madden said. “I’m still going to continue my efforts and my work and I hope that Sue and I can work together.”

Ellingson will officially begin her second term at the next Common Council meeting April 16.