College of Engineering to offer virtual internships

For the first time, the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s College of Engineering will offer first-year engineering students virtual internships which are designed to draw young female students to the field, according to a university news release.

Starting in fall 2013, the college will offer two virtual internships in which students will conduct research, test prototypes and propose solutions to realistic engineering problems.

The internships are designed to teach students engineering skills while giving them opportunities to practice skills they will need in the field, such as communication and collaboration, the release said.

According to the release, research by Epistemic Games Group suggests simulation programs increase women’s interest in engineering, and females in programs such as the virtual internships will be more motivated to earn an engineering degree.

Professor and Epistemic Games Group collaborator Naomi Chesler said in the release women are underrepresented in the engineering field, and drawing them to the field would increase diversity in the engineering workforce.

Editor's Note: The article originally stated the Engineering Department was offering the internships. The College of Engineering, which comprises multiple departments, is offering the internships. We regret the error.