Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8

The new Common Council elected campus area alder, Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, to president pro tem.

City officials approve demolition of Stadium Bar, alcohol license policy change

Madison’s Common Council unanimously approved the demolition of Stadium Bar as well as a change to an alcohol policy ordinance at its meeting Tuesday.

The council approved an adjustment to city zoning ordinances which will allow the demolition of the historic Stadium Sports Bar & Eatery, located at 1419 Monroe St., to make way for a new apartment complex.

The Opus Group designed the six-story proposal, which would include 72 apartment units and retail space.

Ald. Shiva Bidar-Sielaff, District 5, said the area could use more density and activity.

“The Stadium Bar is certainly very active during football games … but outside of that most of the time it’s like a big parking lot that sits pretty empty,” Bidar-Sielaff said. “It’s going to be nice to see it have a more urban feel and be more active.”

The Common Council also approved a change to an alcohol policy ordinance governing liquor licenses.

Previously, if a property had its liquor license revoked, any subsequent owners of that property would have to wait 12 months after the original revocation to apply for a liquor license. According to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, this law has prevented landlords from successfully renting out properties that have had licenses revoked.

Under the amendment, tenants can apply under the standard process for a new liquor license regardless of the status of the previous tenant’s license.

Verveer said changing the law is “the right thing to do” to avoid blaming landlords for tenants’ actions.

“The city will have more discretion to assure that we don’t feel handcuffed by this law,” he said. “It really gives us, frankly, more discretion and flexibility.”

The issue came before city officials when Logan’s Madtown Bar suddenly closed after an audit revealed more than 50 percent of the bar’s profits came from alcohol sales, which violated the business’ liquor license.

Because Logan’s license revocation is currently pending before the Alcohol License Review Committee, Verveer said the property will be governed by the new law.

The Council also approved a new license to allow Chipotle Mexican Grill to sell liquor and beer at its 658 State St. location.