ASM Legislative Affairs Committee

ASM Student Regent Campaign moves forward in state legislature

The Student Regent Campaign, a student-led initiative within this year’s Associated Students of Madison Legislative Affairs Committee, could be signed into state law this legislative session.

Under the Student Regent bill, each University of Wisconsin System campus would nominate a single candidate via their respective student governments. The governor would then choose an appointee from the 26 candidates, as opposed to the current process where any student can apply.

According to Legislative Affairs Committee member Kaitlyn Novotny, who spearheaded the campaign, the aim is to make the process “more democratic.”

The draft of the legislation is currently circulating in the state legislature for cosponsorship.

Novotny said the bill has received preliminary support from multiple legislators including state Rep. Joan Ballweg, R-Markesan. However, she said Ballweg will be hesitant to introduce the bill without the support of state Rep. Stephen Nass, R-Whitewater, who chairs the Committee on Colleges and Universities.

Legislative Affairs Vice Chair Rachel Lepak also reported on the 18+ Campaign, which she said is transitioning to a more general campaign to increase entertainment downtown overall.

She is drafting a letter to city officials and business leaders that includes suggestions to improve entertainment such as a venue for local bands or a movie theater.

Lepak said her vision is to make State Street a more broad entertainment center for the Madison area.

Legislative Affairs Chair Dan Statter said the campaign also addresses safety concerns, as the limited entertainment options in downtown Madison not including bars could contribute to the area’s drinking culture.