Walker, Ryan discuss federal programs, budget at conservative conference

Gov. Scott Walker and U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., were two of many speakers who highlighted Republican plans for the country during the Conservative Political Action Conference in Maryland, which ran from March 14 to 16.

During his speech, Walker drew on experiences from his first term as governor of Wisconsin, touching on subjects ranging from education reform to job creation.

Walker said the country should transition away from dependency on the government to a system where citizens are more independent, including cuts to a number of entitlement programs such as federal Medicaid funding.

“In America people don’t grow up wanting to become dependent on the government,” Walker said.

Ryan focused on his experience as chairman of the House Budget Committee in his speech, expressing disapproval over Democrats federal budget as well as the country’s current debt problem.

Ryan said the Democrats crafted the budget to look beneficial, but in reality it would hurt the country by increasing the federal debt.

“The president says we are in a recovery. I say we are in critical care,” Ryan said. “The debt will weigh down the country like an anchor.”

Both Walker and Ryan repeatedly said conservatives should continue working together to bring change to the federal government by promoting specific policies that keep the individual citizen in mind instead of broad policies that do little to help individuals.

They said Republicans’ success on the state level, including having 30 states with Republican governors, is a sign of progress for the party.

“The future is bright,” Ryan said. “We need your help.”