ASM supports change to midterm policy

The Associated Students of Madison Student Council approved a resolution Wednesday that aims to create a policy to allow students more time to prepare for multiple midterms within a short period of time.

The ASM resolution asks for the option to request midterms be moved if a student has three or more in a period of two school days. Similar to the finals policy, professors are not required to allow the change.

The proposal mirrors a similar policy that already exists for finals weeks, which allows students to ask their professors to have finals moved if they have three within a 24-hour period.

ASM Vice Chair Maria Giannopoulos, who proposed the legislation, she said she felt students would benefit from the policy because she has felt the “mental overload” of studying for three exams within a two-day period.

The original legislation defined a midterm as being worth 15 percent of a total grade, but council voted to amend it to 20 percent.

Giannopoulos said she has spoken to faculty members who said they were concerned over the 15 percent number, saying they would prefer a higher percentage.

Student Council Rep. Niko Magallon said students are now expected to be more involved in extracurricular activities to get jobs in the future.

“Things are drastically different and I think this legislation does reflect the changing times,” Magallon said. “I really hope that faculty can understand that these flexibilities are needed for us.”

The resolution will now go to the Faculty Senate for final approval.