Walker, Vos aim to expand mental health care in the state

Gov. Scott Walker announced Wednesday he will include a near $30 million, tax-funded expansion of the state’s mental health care infrastructure in the upcoming state budget.

The funding is slated to enhance existing mental health programs, such as those focused on providing care to children and troubled adults, while also introducing new initiatives, according to a statement from Walker.

“Our budget investment will provide additional resources to improve and expand care, as well as give support to those living with mental illness and help individuals, families and communities in Wisconsin live healthier and more productive lives,” Walker said in the statement.

The expansion’s goals include improving community-based care services, creating greater coordination among mental health care providers and establishing an Office of Children’s Mental Health. Walker added his administration developed the expansion’s goals based on consultation with mental health professionals and advocates.

State Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, also announced Wednesday the creation of a bipartisan speaker’s Task Force on Mental Health, an 11-member committee charged with suggesting improvements for the state’s mental health policies.

Vos appointed state Rep. Erik Severson, R-Osceola, to chair the task force, a position Severson said in a statement he hopes to use to address serious issues.

“Wisconsin has always led the nation when it comes to innovative programs and policies regarding healthcare,” Severson said. “We can do that again by stepping up and addressing mental health issues, rather than avoiding the problem by looking the other way.”

State Rep. Sandy Pasch, D-Shorewood, vice-chair of the task force, said in a statement she approved of the increased focus on mental health and added she looks forward to bipartisan cooperation on the “critical” issue of mental health.