UW System student success rates show improvement

The University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents and chancellors from Wisconsin universities engaged in a discussion Thursday about progress toward achieving goals for graduation and retention rates, as well as increased diversity on Wisconsin campuses.

According to UW System Senior Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs Mark Nook, the system is on track to achieve its goals of producing 80,000 more graduates and decrease the retention and graduation gaps for underrepresented minority students on UW campuses by the 2025 deadline.

However, Nook said due to the tough economy and tuition increases in recent years, there has been less encouraging news for retention and graduation rates for students receiving Pell Grants.

UW-Stevens Point Chancellor Bernie Patterson said it’s important for students and parents to go into a college education with a plan to get out in four years.

However, UW-Oshkosh Chancellor Richard Wells said a four year degree may not be a realistic goal for all students, such as first-generation college students or students who need to take a semester off to work.

“The populations we’re trying to serve are becoming more diverse and more economically challenged and it’s just going to take more time for them to get to the American dream so to speak,” Wells said.

Also at the meeting, UW System Director of Operations Review and Audit Elizabeth Dionne announced an additional $1.1 million dollars in overpayments to UW System employees, according to the Milwaukee-Journal Sentinel.

The UW System is currently undergoing an internal audit and state audit regarding $33 million dollars in overpayments discovered earlier this year.