The Dirty Bird: Rubbing it off: a guide to your partner and yourself

Dear Alex,

How often do females masturbate? And do they mind if their boyfriends do it?

Well, in a study by the National Health and Social Life Survey, 42 percent of women reported they had masturbated in the last year, compared with 63 percent of men. Not such a large discrepancy, which should be a relief. 

However, this survey must be taken with a grain of salt; the study failed to decipher between age groups. Other studies estimated that men in their teenage and young-adult years masturbate once a day. Unfortunately, these same studies often explain why a majority of women do not regularly masturbate until they reach their 20s. 

But as we know, it’s always a range! There are ladies who flip their respective beans every day, and some who don’t do it at all. If you are comfortable doing so, ask your special girly girl how often she likes to rub it out. How else do we learn about other people? (From the Dirty Bird. Duh.) 

Whether or not one partner minds if the other whacks it off every so often is a completely different story. There are a couple of sides to the argument. One is a legitimate lack of understanding. Why does my boo need to do it alone when he or she could do it with me? Although that argument has hold, it is not realistic for a lot of people for several reasons

Many people enjoy the alone time and complete lack of pressure that comes with solo sessions. It can be relaxing to only have to please yourself for once without being concerned about anybody else. It can also be refreshing to become physically reacquainted with oneself and remember how much fun we are able to have alone. Furthermore, the convenience of being alone without making any effort whatsoever is sometimes just too good to pass up. You don’t even have to change out of sweats! Best of both worlds. 

Another issue that many have about their partners getting off unaided is the question of what is turning them on. Some people are uncomfortable with the thought of their partners watching porn, and some even consider porn-watching to be cheating. The fact of the matter is that those terms have to be defined by each individual couple; nobody can tell somebody what cheating means to them. 

My opinion, however, is that porn can be an exciting way to relax for many and that as long as your significant other does not go find his or her favorite porn star and actually screw them, it is not cheating. Again, I cannot tell anybody how to feel, but porn is a harmless way of looking at new people without the option of touching him or her. I’d certainly rather my significant other jack one off to porn than with his or her classmate or new friend from a bar. 

Wait right there. You guys thought you were getting away without an overarching conclusion? From me? Let’s talk about masturbating together! That’s right, mutual masturbation, a wonderful (and possibly competitive) activity! Who can jack it more quickly? And how sexy does your bangin’ babe look when he or she is doing it solo? The answer: super sexy. 

Doing it alone together isn’t only a huge turn-on, but it can help you figure out what your partner likes! Hopefully your special someone knows what gets them off, so by watching closely you can figure out how to do it best. Pay close attention and you’ll be off to a mutual explosion in no time!

Have a question for the Dirty Bird? Email Alex at sex@dailycardinal.com for the smexiest answers!