First Wave member to perform at ethnic studies roundtable

The Associated Students of Madison Diversity Committee announced Monday a First Wave member will perform at the committee’s upcoming ethnic studies requirement roundtable discussion.

At the Feb. 18 event, students and staff will have the opportunity to hear about the history of the ethnic studies requirement, as well as the current restructuring of the university’s diversity plan.

First Wave is a University of Wisconsin-Madison scholarship program created to encourage urban arts and performing among students.

Diversity Committee Chair Mia Akers said First Wave’s ideals of multiculturalism and diversity “intertwine” with the ethnic studies requirement, and they hope to use the performance to address issues surrounding the requirement.

“Ethnic studies comes from a place of addressing that there is inequality, racial inequality specifically,” Akers said. “Those things need to be addressed and multiculturalism and understanding needs to be celebrated.”

Following the performance, members of the Diversity Committee will facilitate roundtable discussions in which students will be invited to share suggestions on changes to the ethnic studies requirement and give input on the university’s new diversity plan.

Members of the committee recognized that some people may want to leave the requirement as it is or may not want it at all, but according to Akers, the committee is looking for students to be honest and critical.

“We really want the honesty portion and for students to really speak from their personal experiences,” Akers said. “That’s the only way that the university is going to be able to change the policy for the better.”