County could extend Occupy permit

Members of the Dane County Board of Supervisors introduced two resolutions at a meeting Thursday, which could extend the deadline on Occupy Madison’s park permit and establish a new cooperative house.

Supervisor David Wiganowsky, District 21, sponsored the motion to grant members of Occupy Madison the legal right to stay at Token Creek County Park on Madison’s north side throughout the winter by extending the group’s 90-day permit until May 1. The permit currently states the group must leave by Feb. 17.

“They’re human beings and they should have some rights, not just [be] pushed aside,” Wiganowsky said. He also added they deserve time to figure out a more permanent solution.

Tenant Resource Center Executive Director and Occupy Madison advocate Brenda Konkel said the campers have sufficient funds so they are not seeking monetary support from the county, only permission to stay on the grounds.

“Between Feb. 17 and April 16, when the camp grounds open, we have no option and we’re desperate at this point,” Konkel said.

Also at the meeting, Dane County Board First Vice-Chair Carousel Bayrd announced a new initiative on behalf of Dane County Executive Joe Parisi, who was not at the meeting, to use $250,000 of the county’s 2013 budget to set up a co-op that would serve at least 20 individuals.

Both resolutions will go to various county committees for approval and recommendations before the county board votes on them Feb. 21.

Since the board will not have the opportunity to grant Occupy an extension until after Feb. 17, Wiganowsky said the Parks Division will have authority to force campers out during the interim period, although he said he hopes they will wait until after the vote.