Football: Rose Bowl facts and notes

PASADENA, Calif.—With just over two hours before kickoff at the Rose Bowl, here are some pre-game notes about Wisconsin and Stanford. 

• This is Wisconsin’s 9th Rose Bowl appearance (3-5) and the 13th appearance for Stanford (5-6-1)
  • Wisconsin becomes the first Big Ten team to reach 3 consecutive Rose Bowl Games since Michigan did it from 1977 through 1979
  • Wisconsin is the first unranked team to play in the Rose Bowl game since Purdue in 2002 (2001 season)
  • Stanford last reached the Rose Bowl in 2001, coming in unranked against No. 7 Wisconsin (17-9 UW win)
  • Stanford is looking for its first Rose Bowl victory since a 13-12 win over Michigan in 1972
  • With a win, Wisconsin would be the first team to win the Rose Bowl from outside the top 10 since No. 17 USC defeated No. 3 Northwestern in 1996
  • With a win, Wisconsin would become the first unranked team to win a Rose Bowl Game since UCLA defeated No. 4 Illinois in 1984
  • 2013 will crown the fourth different champion in the last 4 years, following a 3-year run by USC from 2007 through 2009
  • With Wisconsin’s appearance, Barry Alvarez will tie Jeff Cravath, Terry Donahue, John Robinson, Jock Sutherland, and Lloyd Carr for 8th all-time with 4 Rose Bowl appearances
  • With a Wisconsin victory, Barry Alvarez will move into a tie for 3rd all-time with 4 Rose Bowl victories, trailing only Howard Jones and John McKay (5 each)
  • The Big Ten is 30-38 all-time in the Rose Bowl while the Pac-13 is 48-42-3
  • Montee Ball is the first Doak Walker award recipient to play in the Rose Bowl during the same season in which he was given the honor since USC’s Reggie Bush appeared in the 2006 game (later vacated)