Drop the Red Bull: A healthy guide to an all-nighter

I’m ashamed to say it, but during my four years here at UW-Madison, I’ve become ridiculously familiar with all- nighters in College Library. How familiar, you ask? Familiar enough that Jay, the night librarian, and I are on first-name terms and have midnight and 4 a.m. check-ins about our respective days and our interests (he bakes a mean vegan almond vanilla cake). And though I don’t know about you, if I am staying up eight-12 hours longer than I should, my engine needs some serious energy to combat some pesky, ubiquitous thing like a circadian rhythm.

Most of my all-nighters last semester were pulled trying to prepare for my NutriSci 132 exam. Though those long nights do not make me an expert on nutrition by any means, by the end of the course, through study and trial, I devised a menu that will keep you chugging along through mountains of unread material with nary a drooping eye. All you need is $20. Yes, that can definitely be steep for some of us, but trust me, it’s worth it. Plus, you’re never going to do this again. This is the end of your procrastination days, so you might as well end this period of your student life with a bang right? Right. Let’s get started.

If you live on or near campus, at around 9 p.m. I strongly urge you to head to Memorial Union and get the salmon sandwich with avocado. Why? Salmon is full of omega-3s, aka Brain Awesome. These fatty acids are touted to improve brain function and possibly lower the risk of depression. This is doubly important, as you need your brain clicking on all cylinders to absorb this dirge of information and combat ensuing depression because why in the world did you wait so long to do this? The avocado is important because this monounsaturated fat can help with healthy blood flow to the brain—key to effective learning. This sets you back about $7, but the brain boost is worth the heavy price.

Now, you don’t have to go to Memorial Union for this sandwich. A few places on State Street serve similar fare. Or you can always make it yourself, but I suggest it from the union because of the choice of sides—resist the urge for the beer battered (delicious) fries and get the carrots instead. They come in handy later!

While the staff at der Rathskeller makes your sandwich, take a brisk walk to Fresh Market (or you can always go before, but come on now, we’re procrastinators here. It’s not exciting if you adequately plan!). Take your cart and grab the following:

A package of hummus. Why? Hummus is rich with protein, fiber, magnesium, folic acid and zinc—an energy cocktail. It’s easy to make at home if you want, but a package will cost about $4. Use it as a snack and dip the carrots that came with your sandwich for a tasty, nutritious and, most importantly, energy-producing snack. The carrots are full of Vitamin A, renown for the health of eyesight, which you will need as you will be staring at a textbook or computer screen for eight hours. Plus, the hummus and snack combination is light enough to prevent the dreaded Itis—aka the “this food is so heavy I’m going to climb into the booths of college to pass out” sensation.

A package or two of single serve whole-wheat oatmeal. Why? Full of fiber and antioxidants, oatmeal is satisfying and releases energy slowly into the body. It also stabilizes the bloodstream, slowing down or preventing the midnight slump. Each package is about $1.50. I usually grab two, for a total of $3. And you can get a cup, spoon and water free at College. Just microwave some hot water to prepare it!

Dark Chocolate. This will give you the magnum opus of all-nighters—caffeine. Again, this heart-healthy food usually has less sugar and fat than the milk variety. Grab a big bar of it for $2 and take small bites of it throughout the night during any energy drags.

That’s my secret recipe for getting through all-nighters for a grand total of $16! Feel free to add or substitute your favorite super brain foods. A nut mix like the pre-made variety at Fresh Market are great choices for energy if you aren’t into the foods listed above (the Dieter’s Delight is heaven). I’d like to add that this is not a low-calorie post (obviously). But, if it’s between a burger, shake and fries from Culver’s and my menu, I prefer my menu. College has a way of making one learn their body’s limits. Do you people (slang for, do what’s best for you)!

Oh, and if you need any tips on what to do with the last $4, take a glimpse of the sunrise over the lake—one of the best sights Wisconsin has to offer. Then head to your favorite café and grab a warm beverage. After all, you will need the help to stay up in that 8 a.m. lecture.

Need more tips for how to face the upcoming semester-long storm? Email Gethsemane at herroncoward@wisc.edu for more ideas on late-night energy boosters!