Police: man killed by officer not a burglar, mistakes house for his own

A man who was shot and killed by a Madison police officer Friday was not a burglar but a new neighborhood resident who entered the wrong house, Madison Police Chief Noble Wray confirmed at a press conference Monday.

Early Friday morning, the Madison Police Department responded to a possible burglary in progress on the 500 block of South Baldwin Street, according to Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain.

Wray said there are a number of reports that the intruder, later identified as 30-year-old Paul Heenan, was intoxicated when he entered the house.

The resident called the police when she heard Heenan in her home around 2:45 a.m. and said her husband was downstairs investigating, according to DeSpain.

Wray said Officer Stephen Heimsness responded to the call and saw “two men grappling and struggling” in the house, which is when Heimsness pulled out his service weapon.

“Based on the description of the husband, based on dispatch, [Heimsness] believed he was seeing the homeowner struggling with the possible burglar,” Wray said.

When Heimsness ordered the two individuals to “get down,” only the homeowner stepped back, according to Wray.

Heenan then “grabbed” Heimsness, “latching on to his left hand with one hand while using the other to reach Officer Heimsness’ gun,” Wray said. “Officer Heimsness believed his life was in danger and fired three rounds.”

Another officer, Stacy Troumbly, also responded to the scene and attempted to administer life-saving aid to Heenan.

Results from a Dane County Medical Examiner’s Office forensic autopsy confirmed Saturday Heenan died from firearm related trauma.  

The struggle between Heimsness and Heenan produced a “deadly force situation,” according to Wray, and he said Heimsness’ actions were consistent with MPD training.

“It is … objectively reasonable for Officer Heimsness to pull out his service at that time,” Wray said.

DeSpain said in a statement Heimsness was placed on administrative leave, which is the standard procedure for officers who are involved in shootings.

Wray said the MPD is continuing to investigate the incident, in addition to looking at internal department policies, procedure and training.

Madison police will send all information regarding the incident to the Dane County District Attorney to review the case.