Please leave ego at home Nov. 6

This week holds a special significance for most of the students at the UW-Madison. I am no exception. For many of us, Tuesday will be the first time we can vote in a presidential election.

I’m sure everybody’s parents have already reminded them to vote (and probably passed some advice on who to endorse as well). But whether you’re planning on rocking the vote or flat out stoning it, I think it’s helpful to remember exactly what voting means in the U.S. of A.

My first memory of a presidential election is the 2000 race between Bush and Gore. As one of the closest and most controversial elections in U.S. history, it’s no wonder I can recall the event so vividly despite only being 8 years old at the time.

From the incessant name calling—of which, my personal favorite remains, “Al Gore is a bore”—to the infamous recount, the 2000 election was a circus. The only thing missing was a ringmaster.

The intensity of the 2000 election was amplified for me in particular since my mother was a Democrat and my dad was a Republican. This cross-family controversy always made early November a fun time around the house. All the yelling and angry stomping was in good spirits.

On a serious note though, it concerns me how our country is so set on being split into two parties. Actually no, the two-party thing isn’t even the big issue. To me, it seems like half of America doesn’t know or care at all about the election. It’s just something for us to argue about.

I heard a joke a few weeks ago that went something like this: It’s more American to stay home on Election Day than to vote. Something about this really stuck with me.

Even though 2008 was a record-breaking year for voter turnout (about 62 percent—woohoo!), I don’t feel much has changed since 2000. In fact, I would say if anything, the electorate has become even more cluelessly polarized.  

I guess in a lot of ways I can sympathize with the 38 (or so) percent of people who will stay home Nov. 6. Why bother participating in a system that is essentially pitting one headless monster against another?

Well, the one really good reason I can think of is to hopefully change the system for the better (which sounds dangerously close to the colloquial definition of voting itself, I know). But I’m not referring to changing how the government is run. The switch needs to happen with voters.

Without sounding like the spokesperson for some quasi-ACLU organization, let me say what needs to go down: People need to vote for issues and not parties. I know this isn’t necessarily the best strategy for winning.

However, when your candidate doesn’t support half the things you believe in and you just vote for them because they’re from your party, have you really won?

It’s a militant mindset, really; us versus them, Democrats versus Republicans, good versus bad, communism versus capitalism, greed versus charity, or whatever label you want to give the war.

Especially when I think back to that election in 2000 with all the people repping hateful bumper stickers and yard signs, it’s hard to keep a level head. Because all those people with nothing to say—who for some reason never shut up play—a way larger role in elections than they should.

Don’t be afraid of voting how you want. Just because the really loud guy next door endorses Obama, doesn’t mean you have to. There isn’t actually a war going on—this whole voting thing is supposed to make our country better, not worse.

On Tuesday, I’m voting for the candidate who I feel best serves my interests, and that person is certainly not Obama, nor Romney. Whomever you vote for, please think about it first. As we all know, four years is a long time.

Send any questions, opinions or snarky political comments to Andy at holsteen@wisc.edu.