Men's Basketball: Evans, Berggren lead Badgers over UW-Oshkosh

Five Badgers scored in double figures during Wisconsin’s 96-44 exhibition victory over the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh Wednesday at the Kohl Center.

No player on UW-Oshkosh’s roster is taller than 6-foot-7, but the Titans nonetheless jumped out to a 7-0 lead just two minutes into the game. The visitors hit three relatively uncontested shots, and head coach Bo Ryan made substitutions to match UW-Oshkosh’s small lineup.

“We went a little smaller so we could guard some of the dribble-drives, the fade screens,” Ryan said. “We were able to take some of that confidence away because we got them out of their comfort zone.”

Ryan started redshirt freshman George Marshall at the point guard position, one of perhaps two starting lineup spots that is not yet solidified for Wisconsin.

The coach was pleased with Marshall’s play (11 points on 5-of-7 shooting, 1 assist), other than the Chicago native’s lone turnover.

“He took care of the ball, he just made one—I call it a “Chicago pass”—where it’s kind of a flip,” Ryan said. “We don’t make passes like that.”

Ryan said Marshall made good decisions after the turnover.

Sophomore guard Traevon Jackson, Marshall’s primary competition to start at the point, entered the game during Ryan’s first set of substitutions. However, he didn’t replace Marshall. The two ran the floor together, both bringing the ball up the court at times.

While Jackson was efficient, converting on both shot attempts en route to six points, he played just 13 minutes compared to Marshall’s 26. Jackson dished out four assists and made one turnover.

Redshirt senior center Jared Berggren scored a game-high 16 points on 7-of-10 shooting. The Princeton, Minn., native also pulled down six rebounds.

Sophomore center/forward Frank Kaminsky, who started along the frontcourt with Berggren and redshirt senior forward Ryan Evans, scored 12 points on 5-of-6 shooting in 14 minutes.

After a strong showing in Wisconsin’s inter-squad scrimmage Sunday, redshirt junior forward Zach Bohannon was the fifth Badger to come off the bench Wednesday. The Marion, Iowa, native tallied 7 points and 8 rebounds, six of which came on the offensive glass, in 15 minutes of action.

Ryan said Bohannon will bring that grinder-type of contribution to the Badgers this season.

“I just wish he would’ve put [the offensive rebounds] back,” Ryan said. “You can’t get too carried away with production from six-nine, six-ten guys in this type of a situation, except for the fact that they were there and took advantage of opportunities.”

Evans took advantage of UW-Oshkosh’s small lineup, leading Wisconsin with 10 rebounds. The redshirt senior also finished with 11 points (4-of-10 shooting) to post a double-double.

Each of Wisconsin’s starters scored in double digits Wednesday, as junior guard Ben Brust connected on both of his three-point attempts to finish with 12 points.

Ryan used a variety of different lineups throughout the night, playing three small guards together or pairing redshirt sophomore center with Berggren to give Wisconsin a massive size advantage.

At one point, the 6-foot-6 Evans was the tallest Badger on the floor. He said Wisconsin’s roster has the potential to be versatile this season.

“You have guys as big as [freshman forward] Sam [Dekker] that can play the two,” Evans said. “A guy like me, I could probably play three through five.”

UW-Oshkosh head coach Pat Juckem said the spacing and movement in Ryan’s swing offense allows for that versatility.

“It really poses some challenges, not only their personnel but their system,” Juckem said. “I was really impressed with this team.”

Wisconsin will tip off its regular season Sunday at the Kohl Center when it welcomes Southeastern Louisiana for a 1 p.m. tip.