Ben Brust

Junior guard Ben Brust leads Wisconsin in rebounding this season with over eight boards per game. Brust has recorded two double-doubles through three games.

Men's Basketball: Badgers host Presbyterian

The Wisconsin men’s basketball team (2-1 overall) will have a quick turnaround from its 73-40 win over Cornell Sunday when it hosts Presbyterian (0-3) Tuesday at the Kohl Center.

The Badgers turned the ball over an uncharacteristically high 16 times against the Big Red. Associate head coach Greg Gard said that number is much too high, no matter who Wisconsin is playing.

“Fortunately you’re able to be that insecure with the ball and still pull out a win,” Gard said. “A lot of times that won’t happen.”

While ball security was an issue for the Badgers, they got another stellar performance from junior guard Ben Brust, who recorded 18 points, 12 rebounds, four assists and just one turnover en route to his second double-double of the season.

Brust, who Gard said has predominately been a standstill shooter at Wisconsin, attempted just four three-point field goals Sunday. The season is early, but the junior has used more dribble-penetration than he did in his first two seasons.

“He’s definitely taken a major step this past year in terms of the confidence to put it on the floor, to make things happen,” Gard said. “We obviously need to continue to have him develop and lead this group because he’s now the most experienced guard in the backcourt we have.”

The 6-foot-1 Hawthorn Woods, Ill., native has also been a force on the glass for the Badgers this season, leading the team with over eight rebounds per game. Brust said his rebounding success hasn’t been complicated: He simply has a knack for where the ball will bounce off the rim.

“After that, it’s all about who wants it more,” he said.

Wisconsin’s depth could pose problems for a Presbyterian team that has used a six-man rotation through three games this season. Sophomore guard Jordan Downing leads the Blue Hose in scoring at 12.7 points per game.

The Badgers’ matchup against the Blue Hose will be their final tune-up game before heading west for the Las Vegas Invitational, where they will play No. 14 Creighton and either Arizona State or Arkansas.

Tuesday’s tip is set for 7 p.m.