Badger Herald discontinues Friday print issues

The Badger Herald will discontinue printing Friday issues of its newspaper beginning this week.

According to Herald Editor-in-Chief Ryan Rainey, keeping papers off the stands one day a week gives the Herald an opportunity to focus on online and mobile content as area newspapers are transitioning to a more digital platform.

Rainey cited changes in advertiser behavior as well as a decline in print readership, particularly on Fridays since many students avoid scheduling classes that day, as factors in the decision.

He said the Herald’s financial situation is fine, but printed editions on Friday were not making any money.

Fridays are generally slow news days in which the paper may need to use Associated Press or filler stories to fill its pages, according to Rainey.

“Sometimes the quality of print issue itself ends up going down because you’re trying to fill that news hole,” he said.

Additionally, Rainey said the Herald hopes to set a precedent for the way independent student newspapers that receive no university funding respond to a changing media environment, which sees increasing web innovation in both content and advertising.

“I think that it makes us more competitive as not just as a college newspaper but as a newspaper in the Madison area,” he said.