Smith Hall

Police cars arrive at Smith Hall to respond to the death of a UW-Madison student who suffered cardiac arrest Monday.

UW student dies in Smith Hall Monday

A University of Wisconsin-Madison student died from cardiac arrest in Smith Residence Hall early Monday evening, according to Dean of Students Lori Berquam.

UW-Madison Police Department Lt. Mark Silbernagel said the death is considered “an open investigation” and more details, including the student’s name, will be released after further investigation.

Berquam said the university is saddened by the male student’s death and sends its sympathies to all who were affected.

“Our hearts go out to the student’s family, friends and people who lived in the residence hall with him,” Berquam said. “And I hope that we as a community come together to support all [who] were impacted by this.”

Berquam also said the death of a student is especially tragic and difficult to accept because at such a young age the student is never able to reach his or her full potential.

“When there is a tragedy like this, it’s a person that we don’t know what amazing things he could have done, we don’t know what kind of leader he would have been, or what impact he would have had on the world, so we’re going to grieve that,” Berquam said.

Residents on the student’s floor in Smith Residence Hall were notified of the death Monday evening in a meeting with residence life officials and counselors.

Grief counselors will also be available at Smith Hall Tuesday for residents, but any student may speak with additional grief counselors at University Health Services, according to Berquam.