The First Amendment pushes America forward

The First Amendment is one of those rare things that the general population feels quite strongly about, the sound of such a feeling being a unified, “YES!” Maybe because it validates our personal freedoms, maybe because it allows us the courage to voice an unpopular position, or maybe because it’s the key ideal as to why we are allowed to be who we are. Whatever personal reason one may have for their love of free speech, religion, press, protest and petition, generally speaking, it’s a nationally accepted good. Beyond obvious reasons as to why we’re crazy about our most important constitutional rights, such as, well, not being thrown in jail for disliking the president, the First Amendment allows us the elasticity to individualize, yet maintains the strength to unite us through its power.

Voltaire wrote, “I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.” This idea, this belief, more than any other document, trend, platform or voice, keeps the citizens of this country not only willing to sacrifice for their own rights, but for others’ as well. And what could possibly be more unifying than a collective body of individuals, as different as can be, rallying together for not only the majority, but also for the quiet group of dissenters?

The strength in this system is staggering. There does not have to be mutual respect for a certain belief or idea itself, yet the respect for the ability for one to have that belief or idea is unquestioned and celebrated. This understanding, above all else—wealth, military power, socio-economic status, geographic location or political orientation—stands as THE American commonality. Against all that divides our citizens, the right to that divide keeps us on the same team. Not only does that make the United States unique, it pushes us forward.

Nikki is a sophomore majoring in journalism. Tell Nicole about a time you exercised your First Amendment rights by sending all letters and feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.