10122012 Mifflin (copy)

This was the scene at the Mifflin Street Block Party in 2012.

Student leaders to be less involved in 2013 Mifflin Street Block Party planning

Representatives from University of Wisconsin-Madison’s student government will take a backseat approach to the 2013 Mifflin Street Block Party planning process after discussion at a Mifflin neighborhood meeting Thursday.

Legislative Affairs Vice Chair Rachel Lepak said the Associated Students of Madison will not be playing a formal role in planning the annual party after some ASM members met for approximately four months preceding the 2012 event, although ASM did not attach its name to the planning group.

Lepak said the committee does not intend to continue their weekly meetings.

“[The administration] is probably not happy with us working on this drinking event,” Lepak said. “I feel we have bigger obligations to students than to plan this party.”

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said while he understands ASM members’ decision to step down from the planning process, student participation in the block party planning is important.

“I’m anxious to have student involvement in the planning for the event,” Verveer said. “There’s value to be learned from the student perspective about the block party with the mayor and the police department’s clear position on the matter.”

At a monthly neighborhood meeting with Mayor Paul Soglin Wednesday, Verveer said police enforcement at the 2013 event will be similar to last year’s party where police officers took a zero tolerance enforcement approach.  

Verveer also said scheduling the All Campus Party, hosted by the Wisconsin Alumni Student Board, on the same day as the block party would give students another party option during the last weekend before finals.