Researcher found growing marijuana in UW building

Police arrested University of Wisconsin-Madison biochemistry researcher Christopher Schwartz Monday days after discovering he was growing between 200 and 1,000 grams of marijuana in the university Biochemistry building.

The UW-Madison Police Department has charged Schwartz with the felony of Manufacturing and Delivering THC, the active chemical in marijuana, according to UWPD Sgt. Aaron Chapin. The charge applies to anyone who is “either growing or selling an illegal substance,” Chapin said.

UWPD also found “additional evidence of marijuana production and use at his residence of the West side of the City of Madison,” according to a UWPD sergeant.

University spokesperson Dennis Chaptman said Schwartz, now booked into the Dane County Jail, is currently “on administrative leave” from the university. The university is now working through the “personnel process” in Schwartz’s case.

The consequences Schwartz will face will depend on the charges and could be as severe as dismissal from the university, according to Chaptman.

UWPD is continuing the investigation and will release more details in the future.