Orpheum Theater

Local entertainment promoter Frank Productions will take control of the Orpheum Theatre and could obtain ownership after an auction, which will take place within the next year.

New management to assist city in Orpheum reopening

The iconic Orpheum Theatre will reopen its doors with the assistance of Frank Productions, an entertainment company based out of Madison that could begin hosting events at the concert venue as early as January 2013.

“We’re just thrilled to be the ones to help put this theatre back on the map and someday hopefully own it and restore it back to the beautiful facility it once was,” Frank Productions President Fred Frank said.

In September, the Monona State Bank foreclosed on the Orpheum because co-owners Henry Doane and Eric Fleming could not pay a $1.1 million loan, according to a letter from Assistant City Attorney Jennifer Zilavy and the city’s Alcohol Policy Coordinator Mark Woulf. The theatre’s troubles reached a breaking point when the city revoked its liquor license in July.

Frank Productions is operating the Orpheum as part of the foreclosure process and an agreement with Dane County Attorney Rebecca DeMarb. The company has the potential to obtain ownership at an auction, which will take place in the next eight to 12 months, after the process ends.

“If we were to be the successful bidder, the theatre would be restored back to its glory years,” Frank said.

During the intermediate period before the auction, Frank said the company cannot make any major efforts in restoration, such as renovating the marquee.  

Frank Productions has already begun the process of bringing life back to the Orpheum by applying for a liquor license, which the city will review at the end of November, and contacting agent managers about using the theatre in coming months.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the Alcohol License Review Committee will most likely approve Frank Productions’ liquor license because of their excellent reputation in Madison.

Frank said the city and University of Wisconsin-Madison students will benefit from the Orpheum’s reopening because it provides a larger venue for bigger acts currently bypassing Madison for cities such as Milwaukee and Minneapolis.

“We’re going to try … and turn the lights back on in the place and bring in some top-notch entertainment to not only service the downtown residents but also the student population,” Frank said.