Metro proposes fare increase

A proposed increase in Metro Transit bus fare will not affect student bus passes in 2013 but could potentially affect the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s negotiations with Metro Transit when their contracts are up for renewal.

The Board of Estimates, Madison’s financial committee, continued discussion on Mayor Paul Soglin’s proposed 2013 operating budget Tuesday, hearing budget presentations from city departments such as Metro Transit.

The budget includes an increase in adult cash bus fare from $2 to $2.25, which would create an additional $686,600 in expected revenue for 2013, according to the proposed budget. It also proposes increasing adult 31-day passes from $55 to $62 and raising senior and disabled 31-day passes from $27.50 to $40.

Metro Transit General Manager Chuck Kamp said the contracts with UW-Madison and UW Transportation will not be impacted immediately by the 2013 budget.

“Because we have multi-year contracts with UW Transportation and UW [Associated Students of Madison] that go...past 2013, the fares don’t impact the contract in 2013,” Kamp said.

Kamp said Metro Transit also will most likely open up negotiations with UW-Madison when the contracts are up for renewal, likely in 2014.

The proposed 2013 budget will not impact the free Route 80 bus many students use to travel to and from classes.

“The plan is currently that [the Route 80 buses] will remain free,” Kamp said.

The Transit and Parking Commission will review the fare increases at its next meeting Wednesday.