10082012

Madison voter registration increases for Nov. 6 election

Voter registration in Madison continues to increase as the Nov. 6 election approaches, according to a city official.

The City of Madison Clerk’s Office received 2,340 new voter registration forms in August and 5,482 in September, according to Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8.

Resnick said a majority of these new voter registration forms are from students.

In an effort to increase voter registration, Madison’s Common Council approved legislation in July requiring landlords to provide a registration form to their tenants on move-in day.

Based off of specific forms the city clerk’s office distributed to landlords, Resnick said the city clerk noticed that the ordinance is having an effect on voter registration.

“I do believe [providing voter registration forms] is a part of welcoming somebody into the community, showing them they have the opportunity to vote here in Madison,” Resnick said.

Students have many opportunities on campus to register before the Oct. 17 early registration deadline. After Oct. 17, students will have to register in the City Clerk’s office.

Members of the Madison Student Vote Coalition have currently registered approximately 3,000 students since Sept. 10, and Chair Hannah Somers said they are hoping to double that number by Oct. 17.

The coalition will be tabling at Union South and Rheta’s on Monday, Oct. 8, through Friday, Oct. 12, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. They will also be available Monday at College Library and Dejope Residence Hall from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Somers said students should check the Madison Student Vote Coalition’s Facebook page for daily updates on where to register.