Gender studies should be required

We live in a world where people of different genders, sexual orientations and gender identities interact on a daily basis. Thus, gender and its components are a large and important part of our daily lives. Currently at UW-Madison, however, courses in gender studies are not required for all majors and many students graduate without taking a single gender studies class. This is surprising for an institution that prides itself on offering a well-rounded and diverse educational experience for all. As a result, I believe if UW wants to provide a truly balanced and adequate educational experience, then it must institute a gender studies requirement for all students.

To understand the importance and relevance of gender in our society look no further than the pay gap between men and women. In 2012, a woman still makes about 25 cents less for every dollar a man makes doing the same work for the same amount of time. Although this pay gap has decreased slightly since the 1960s, the figure has been relatively stagnant over the past two decades. But it’s not just pay where women are second to men; women are also underrepresented in many other sectors of life. For example, women make up only 16.8 percent of congress. And since the creation of the senate, only 39 women have ever served in its 223 years of existence. In the private sector, women only occupy 16 percent of all executive board seats for Fortune 500 companies. What’s even more alarming is the fact that 40 percent of all businesses currently have no women in senior management.

Discrimination isn’t solely borne by women, however. Men and women alike are often the victims of discrimination because of sexual orientation. This is evidenced by the Boy Scouts of America who still deny membership to any open or avowed homosexuals. Moreover, many states across the U.S., including Wisconsin, discriminate against gays by prohibiting the marriage of same sex couples.

Thus, it’s obvious gender and identity are major parts of our culture and gender inequality and discrimination continue to be real problems. Therefore, the UW, as an institution for education and the betterment of oneself, should address these realities and require all students to take at least one gender studies class. In doing so, many Badgers will graduate with a more modern and ethical perspective on the issue, making them less likely to discriminate on the basis of gender.

Don’t get me wrong, taking one class in gender studies will not change the perspectives of everyone but it will at the very least expose students to the issue. Adopting this measure is a step in the right direction and will give students a better understanding of gender’s importance in our culture.

And while some students may contest gender studies is not relevant to their major, much less their daily life, they couldn’t be more wrong. As stated previously, we live in a very diverse world filled with many people of different genders and sexual affiliations. As a result, all of us have and will continue to have experiences on campus where gender plays an important role in a situation.

Everywhere we go, even after graduation, we will always represent this university. Therefore, it is my hope that we as Badgers portray this university in a positive light by always exercising polices of equality and fairness for all genders. Consequently, I believe UW as a university has the duty and responsibility to prepare its students for an ever-diversifying world by incorporating gender studies classes into every student’s curriculum, thus providing a balanced and truly diverse educational experience for all.

Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.