Colorphase

Colorphase can rock the house party just as easily as they can rock the bar, with a sound that will make even the most experienced musicians do a double take.

Colorphase ready to rock out at the Rigby

Dreads and a faded baseball T-shirt for the bass player, a long board to match the drummer's long hair, a stoic female vocalist and a slightly jaded but mostly optimistic guitarist. This is the Madison staple band Colorphase. A fusion of just about every musical style from the late ’60s to the early ’00s, this band looks to win people over with its diverse sound.

Bassist Lexi, guitarist JJ, vocalist V—short for Vanessa—and drummer Austin Ash comprise the collective known as Colorphase, the kind of band that could be expected to show up to an interview in a coffee shop that also serves beer.

“The name is really less of a meaning and more of a feeling,” Lexi said. “Music is about collaboration. Bringing all of these artists together is what Colorphase is all about.”

The band is currently mixing its second record, titled Phase 2, the followup to their debut EP V2. This record was a lot more focused on the studio process, but they still tried to capture their live energy.

“We usually do the drums, guitar and bass live, and then go back and add vocals and overdubs,” JJ said. We try to make sure that we've got that tight take with the live sound before we go in and add anything else.”

“When you think about it, in the current music scene, you plan to give your record away as an advertisement for your live show,” Ash said. “You want to convince people that you're worth seeing, but you also want to give them something they'll want to listen to at home.”

This Friday's show at The Rigby, 21+ due to liquor license requirements, promises to be a wild time, with great bar specials and music of all genres.

The band's Facebook page features some of the cuts from V2, and they are quite impressive. Their kind of sound is one that isn't as present in the local scene, and it has led to some interesting shows for the band.

“We've been paired up with metal bands, where we're the quietest band on the bill, and we've also played with bands where we've been the loudest band on the bill,” Lexi said.

“It's not that we're super heavy, but we're also not quiet. We've got a unique sound,” JJ said. The band will be the heaviest one on the bill Friday night, however.

“We've really got something for everyone,” Lexi said. “People just get f****d up and have fun, and we like to help facilitate that.”

“Music isn't a verbal language, it's what humans can respond to on the most basic level,” said JJ. “If you're making music thinking about what other people are going to think, it's going to not be true. You've got to write from the heart.”

“We’ve definitely got a vibe we’re going for with Colorphase,” Lexi said. “We try to rotate who is showcased in each song so that we’re not all doing crazy s**t all at once.”

The band's most successful live song, “Run Run Run,” has also had a music video recorded for it, with local filmmaker Jeremy Hach. The song features local MC Roc, and has been a crossover hit at shows where the band is lesser-known.

“We went big on it, it's got a storyline,” said Lexi.

The band was also nominated for two Madison Area Music Awards this year. One for Best Rock Album and a second for best Rock Performance. But the band remains humble. They just want to go out and entertain people.

“People should expect to have fun at a Colorphase show,” Ash said. “We go out of our way to make sure that we’re giving the audience everything we’ve got.”

The band makes it a point to play as often as they can, but they want to reach out to the student population.

“We'll even play house parties. We just like to have a good time,” said Lexi.

She even mentioned something about buying a keg.

Always a party, it’s worth making your way down to check out Colorphase and come early to hear Lazydeadpoet and The Dirty Pigeons.

Joining Colorphase on the bill Friday night is local blues guitarist Lazydeadpoet, Thomas Skibsrud, and The Dirty Pigeons out of Chicago. The cover is $5 and the show starts at 9 p.m.