10182012

City Council members propose Overture funding increase

The Overture Center could see more funding from the city than originally proposed in the mayor’s 2013 operating budget after several Common Council members announced Wednesday an amendment that would double the funding currently allotted to the venue.

14 City Council members co-sponsored the amendment, which would raise city funding allotted to Overture from the current $850,000 to $1.75 million, which is $100,000 less than Overture received in 2012.

According to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, Council members who co-sponsored the amendment felt although it was important Overture was not immune to cuts in this “very difficult budget atmosphere,” they know how important the venue is to the community and hope to live up to the city’s commitments of providing annual funding to the center.

“It is especially gratifying for me to have this really significant show of support for the Overture Center from two-thirds of Common Council,” Verveer said.

Overture Center Spokesperson Rob Chappell said it is “very satisfying” to know that several Council members understand Overture’s value to the community.

If the amendment is implemented, Chappell said Overture would be able to keep current staffing levels as well as continue to grow their community and education programs rather than cut them.

While Overture’s culture is important to individuals, Chappell said the venue’s impact on downtown Madison’s local economy is also significant.

According to Chappell, Overture brings approximately 400,000 people per year downtown who then spend money on dinner, parking and drinks at nearby restaurants and venues.

“[Council] understands these values and they are ready to support these values,” Chappell said.