Wook

Take a Wook at this local band

In addition to the normal stresses of student and “real world” life, the members of Madison jam/electronic band Wook balance an extended schedule of gigs and traveling, including their stint at the Majestic Theatre opening for Papadosio Friday.

Since settling into their current lineup approximately a year ago, they have been constantly working within the Midwest music scene. The start of their festival career happened by chance when guitarist and vocalist Jake Stottler met the promoter of the Grateful Garcia Gathering whilst on the Terrace. The festival is a small one held in middle Wisconsin, and is a “weird, hippie place,” according to the band.

“Someone had canceled the week before and we jumped on the chance to fill the slot,” bassist and laptop-operator Mike Kuerschner recalled. “From there we learned about other gigs through people and bands we’ve met. It’s tough in the beginning; a lot of emails and phone calls never get responses at that stage.”

Since two of Wook’s members are still students at UW-Madison and the other two have full-time jobs, the band must pack their summer schedule to the brim and strategically plan their school-year performances.

“We’ll play Thursday through Saturday night at the most with an errant weekday show here and there,” guitarist and vocalist Adam Lowe explained. “We wouldn’t string together a series of shows for a straight week. It definitely works around the school schedule.”

For example, looking forward on the calendar, the band will play a Thursday night in Iowa, drive back and attend class or work on Friday and return to Iowa for a Friday night show. The secret to their multi-tasking ability stems from several factors.

“We mostly use diligent driving and get in the car and go home as soon as the show is over,” Lowe said. “We do our fair share of partying in Madison but school has always been a blockage for doing things like that on the road.”

Kuerschner added, “It’s good to stay grounded and know that our education is important and we’re paying for it. You know, doing that instead of being hungover in Iowa somewhere.”

As for musical influences, the band covers a full spectrum, particularly in the jam band realm. They describe their collective interests as a mutt of sorts: Dave Matthews Band, Lotus and Umphreys McGee layered with electronic and DJ interests, among many others.

The crowd for a Wook show fluctuates depending on the time and place. At a particularly memorable Summer Camp set this past summer (the first slot on Friday morning), the band brought juice and donuts for their audience. On the flip side of the coin from buzzing festival sets, the band has played to nearly-empty rooms.

“We’ve played in Chicago to the sound guy and when he went out for a cigarette there was no one,” Kuerschner said. “But we’re well aware that it doesn’t do any good to lose your cool over things like that.”

This lighthearted attitude helps Wook navigate the ups and downs of band life, and they consider themselves “serious about their music but not about themselves.”

“The more you take things with a smile, the easier it is to get through everything,” they said. “Plus we’re just a bunch of weird guys.”

As previously mentioned, Kuerschner, Lowe, Stottler and drummer Andrew Stark will open for Papadosio Friday at the Majestic Theatre.

“We’re excited because we love the Majestic as a venue,” Kuerschner said. “Also because we look up to Papadosio as a band. We’ve been really into their stuff lately.”

Wook will also be playing a fundraiser show with The Family Business for the American Lung Association on October 4 at the Majestic Theatre, for which tickets are now available. All the proceeds will go to charity.