No. 2 Badgers open season at Minnesota State

The college hockey season is finally upon us. Coming off a WCHA conference regular season crown and runner-up finish in the 2012 NCAA Frozen Four, the Wisconsin women's hockey team embarks on a new season this weekend as it takes on conference foe Minnesota State in the conference-opening series for both teams.

Debuting at No. 2 in the preseason USCHO rankings behind rival Minnesota, Wisconsin brings back a plethora of firepower on offense that averaged almost 39 shots on goal last season. The Badgers also return six of their top 10 scorers from the 2011-'12 season, including 2012 Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award Winner and preseason WCHA Player of Year, senior forward Brianna Decker, who recorded 37 goals and 45 assists a season ago.

Other top returnees for the Badgers include senior defensemen and 2011-'12 WCHA Defensive Player of the Year Stefanie McKeough—who totaled 23 points during last year's campaign—junior goaltender and recipient of 2011-'12 WCHA Goaltending Champion Award Alex Rigsby, who was second in the nation with a .949 save percentage, and junior forward Brittany Ammerman, who recorded 17 goals and 13 assists.

Wisconsin welcomes eight new freshman to the roster, including defenseman Courtney Burke, forward Molly Doner, forward Kim Drake (sister of current Wisconsin junior defender Chase Drake), forward Kaitlyn Harding, forward Rachel Jones, forward Erika Sowchuck, goaltender Jorie Walters and forward Mikayla Johnson (daughter of head coach Mark Johnson).

Minnesota State looks to improve upon its dismal 3-24-1 record last year, returning 17 players from the 2011-'12 campaign, including seven of its top ten scorers. Senior forwards Lauren Smith and Lauren Zrust finished 36th in points in the WCHA in 2011-'12 with 19 a piece. Smith is also tied for seventh all-time in school history with 37 career assists. The Mavericks averaged 27.7 shots per game in 2011-'12 while registering more than 25 shots in 23 of 36 games.

In last year's six meetings, Wisconsin dominated the Mavericks, outscoring them by a combined score of 31-2 while holding a 250-142 advantage in shots on goal.