Letter: President Obama more worried about election than national security

The selfishness, arrogance, and incompetence of the Roman emperor Nero is often encapsulated in the expression, “Nero fiddled while Rome burned.” Although President Obama cannot play a musical instrument, his actions during the violence-filled anniversary week of 9/11 demonstrate that Obama does not need a fiddle to neglect his duties as America’s head of state. On the anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks, gunmen struck the U.S. consulate in Benghazi with rocket-propelled grenades and killed four Americans, including Christopher Stevens, the U.S. ambassador to Libya. The disorder spread to other Middle Eastern states, and American embassies in Tunisia, Yemen, and Sudan were assaulted by protestors. As the U.S. consulate in Libya smoldered and American embassies around the world were besieged by hordes of militant protestors, Obama enjoyed a campaign visit to Las Vegas, an appearance on the “Late Show with David Letterman” and a lavish fundraiser in New York hosted by pop stars Jay-Z and Beyonce. Prior the brutal attacks on America’s diplomatic missions, TV interviews were added to the President’s schedule, while national intelligence briefings were skipped. The President’s choice to scrounge for votes and stuff his election coffers, rather than review national security threats or strongly respond to Muslim extremism, indicates that the White House prioritizes re-election over the protection of U.S. institutions and citizens. The White House’s decision to serve its own political interests rather than serve the national interest should worry any American who feels that the defense of the American people - and not the electoral gain of a particular party or politician - is the principal duty of his/her President. John Rizner is a sophomore majoring in history and economics. He is a member of the UW College Republicans. Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.