Ed Sheeran brings everything from ballads to beats

Ed Sheeran has only been in the U.S. on his current tour for three days, but his journey to this point has been a lengthy one. A hefty handful of EPs between 2005 and 2010, dropping out of school to pursue music and playing any possible gig led to Sheeran signing with Asylum Records under Atlantic Records, and the British singer/songwriter is now a household name.

Sheeran is renowned for his fiery hair, his transcendence of any particular genre and his snappy lyrical abilities. His 2011 debut full-length album + (pronounced “Plus”) demonstrates all of the above: he frequently transitions between soft acoustic ballads and hip hop-inspired tongue twisters.

“I have quite a quirky personality,” Sheeran said in an interview with The Daily Cardinal. “So I think that part of me translates into my music.”

To paraphrase a comment Sheeran has previously made about his public image: he would rather be heard through the speakers than seen on a poster on the wall.

“It means I don’t look like Justin Timberlake,” he said. “I’m not the type to be such an image. I talk through my music. That’s not to say Justin isn’t an incredible musician because he is, but you get the point.”

He also pegged himself as the type who enjoys a day at home above all else, even in fame. His idea of the most perfect day on earth is “doing absolutely nothing. Staying in sweats all day and eating and watching DVDs.”

Sheeran generally sticks to hoodies and casual clothes, even when he performed Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here” at the closing ceremonies of the Olympics a few weeks ago. He also takes the stage on tours with only his guitar and the microphone.

Essentially, Sheeran simply does Sheeran in every way.

“Looking back at my music, it’s all been fate,” he said. “I experimented on all the EPs up through +. I just have fun doing it all and being me.”

In addition to his own performances, Sheeran has written songs for other high-profile artists such as “Moments” for boy band One Direction. He said his inspiration for most songs comes from the observation of human stories.

“My songs mostly come from personal stories about others’ experiences,” Sheeran said, citing his hit “The A Team” as an example. It stemmed from meeting a homeless woman when he was volunteering at a shelter.

In juxtaposition to his sweeter material, Sheeran also beatboxes and is an avid hip hop fan. In reply to what he has been listening to heavily lately, he responded with A$AP Mob’s “Lord$ Never Worry.”

Sheeran will demonstrate his unique combination of folk, acoustic and hip hop musical flavors at a sold-out show at the Majestic Theatre tonight. Look for The Daily Cardinal’s online review and photo content of the concert to see how Sheeran does Madison.