How to thrive in Madison's political environment

As the 2012 presidential election draws nearer and nearer, political commercials and propaganda are pounded into the minds of voters across the United States. So what does this mean for students here at the University of Wisconsin - Madison? As a new batch of freshman roll in, be prepared for student organizations, local lobbyists and the occasional nut job to spread their own opinions on who the new president should be.

For those of you who spent the last year here in Madison, you know what I am talking about. A simple walk up State Street during the months preceding the Recall Walker campaign turned into a marathon of flyer dodging. Living in the state’s capital makes campus the epicenter of political tension. And now that Wisconsinite Paul Ryan is Mitt Romney’s vice presidential candidate, the people in Wisconsin are bound to get even more opinionated.

I hope that those of you who were here during the Walker debacle know how to handle the tension that builds around the city. However, for those freshmen who are stepping onto campus with no idea what the atmosphere can be like, I am here to help.

The very first and most important step every person should do is to get involved with student organizations. Yes, join a fun club where you can unwind, but also join a club with a more serious goal in mind. These clubs are a huge asset and will educate students on important issues.

By no means should the club you join dictate how you vote. If you align yourself with the Democratic Party, consider attending events sponsored by the College Republicans. Although it may seem counter intuitive, attending these events will provide students with new perspectives and good information in order to make more educated decisions.

Also, don’t ignore all those people passing out flyers around campus. Take the opportunity to absorb the information they are giving out and do further research. Find out what is actually true and what is false. Again, education is essential. Knowing the issues inside and out will relieve a lot of the political tension that builds up around campus.

Not only will students experience pressure as they walk around class, but it is especially apparent in the political rallies at the capital. This in no way means these rallies should be avoided. In fact, I believe the exact opposite approach should be taken. Immerse yourself in events like rallies and protests around the capital. Take the opportunity to experience something that a lot of people will never get to experience.

The bottom line is that educating yourself is the best way to avoid the political tension here in Madison. If you are confident enough to form your own opinions based on the information from both sides of the spectrum, you will be largely unaffected by the crazy atmosphere. The only way to do this is to get involved with student organizations and immerse yourself in the culture here on campus.

Living in the capital is both a blessing and a curse. There are always going to be opposing opinions flying around, but it is up to each individual to decide what they will choose to believe and what they won’t. I truly believe that listening to both sides and using both sides’ information to do further research is the best way to make an educated decision.

My intention here is not to scare anyone, but rather to prepare and hopefully inspire young students to get involved. If not, it will be difficult to participate in a lot of activities that are bound to arise because of the upcoming election. I am extremely excited to start a new year, especially one that is bound to spark interesting discussions on campus and entice students to get involved.

Still feeling lost and abandoned in Madison’s intense political scene? Join the Daily Cardinal opinion team by emailing us at opinion@dailycardinal.com.